Tuesday, July 15, 2008

No TV for 48 Hours

Erin & I experienced this refreshing time all day Sunday & Monday. Was the TV working? Yes. Was the satellite out? No. We chose to "fast" from TV for 2 days to help us realize how much time we spend w/ the TV on. Are we watching TV the whole time it's on, No. I missed it a little b/c I'm so used to it always being there & available, but I learned the TV is more a habit than a desire.
I can't tell you how many times I went to pick up the TV remote just so I could have it on while doing something or whatever. There aren't any good shows on this time of the summer (other than Sportscenter, which is almost always on) but for some reason I feel like I need to turn it on. The last 2 days were quiet & peaceful. Erin was able to write some notes & do more scrapbooking. I was able to read some & do things around the house. Not sitting down to watch TV forces you to get some little & often neglected things done around the house. It took us out of our comfort zone of sitting on the couch in front of the TV, but the change was nice.

We need to be more aware of the simple habits & patterns we live in & how they can be minimized or avoided at times. I encourage others to find areas of your life to "fast" from in order to better control your environment so that it doesn't control you. "Fasting" from food is something I need to do to better focus on God, but it's so hard for me b/c I love food a WHOLE LOT MORE than I do TV. Give up something for a day or 2 & see if it changes your perspective.

No comments: