Monday, June 2, 2008

Feels Like Failure

Have you ever done something & then looked back on it to feel as though you failed at the task? As a preacher, this is a regular feeling for me many times after walking off the stage at the end of a sermon. I can prepare the message I feel God has given me & do my best to present it in a meaningful way, but it sometimes feels as though I'm not in sync.
What I've noticed is when I feel this way the most God is at His best. Yesterday was one of those days, but when the service was over the number of significant expressions of appreciation for the message & the immediate impact seemed far greater than I would have ever thought! Last night while getting ready for our service to start I overheard a group talking (which isn't hard in our small church to hear what's being talked about on the other side of the sanctuary) to a lady who was absent that morning. They discussed in detail the substance of the sermon & were truly impacted by it, making her truly disappointed she missed it.

All this to say: When you're doing something for the Lord you know he's called you to do, do it to the best of your ability & have faith God will use it. When we feel we're at our worst is when God is usually at His best. You never know what impact you will have through simple obedience. Don't let your feelings of inadequacy discourage you but encourage you because when we're inadequate we have no choice but to surrender all to God.

Thank God daily it's all about Him & not about us!

1 comment:

Kaitlin L. said...

Hope you guys are doing well! Lydia Norvell tagged me, so I'm passing it along (check my site for more info., and I apologize beforehand).